Monday, February 28, 2011

Stop Kicking and Learn to Relax

I had an interesting experience this last year that was brought to fruition at bible study some time ago. You see, a couple of summers ago we sent our two littlest to my sister's house for vacation bible school and for swim lessons. My son last year had a terrible time with swimming in deep water, he still had memories of almost drowning the year before, yes, he did almost drown. But this year we were a little wiser, he couldn't come crying to us because we weren't there, and the swim teacher was tough as nails, she just wouldn't let him give up. So needless to say, the boy has become quite the swimmer. Last week we were in Florida on vacation, the kids got to do a lot of swimming, turns out, the boy is part fish. One day it was just me and the boy, the girls had gone shopping or something. So T and I went down to the beach, we had gotten swim goggles from a place down there and I wanted to show him the sheer joy in swimming around in the waves and looking for shells in the water. I took him out to where I was standing about chest deep, so he couldn't reach the bottom at all. I noticed that he was swimming like he was in the swimming pool, he was pulling and kicking like the dickens to stay afloat and swim. I let him do that for a while until I saw that he was growing tired. So I grabbed him and started to show him something. I told my son that we were in salt water, and that all he had to do is relax, settle down, and realize, that all that kicking and paddling was unnecessary. I showed him how he floats in salt water. After that, we both kind of floated down the beach looking for shells, and he found a great conch shell for his mother.

Moral- Our lives can be summed up with what my son showed me last week. Here we are going through life trying our dangdest to make things turn out the way we want them. We spend a great deal of time trying to control our lives and every situation in it. The reality is, we are part of a greater plan, and grand design. No matter how much we try to control it, or how hard we struggle, our lives will turn out exactly as God wants them to. We tend to forget that we have to give our struggles up to the Lord, because no matter how hard we try, we can never handle it on our own. Our part is to relax, to stop struggling, and realize that this whole time we could just be floating down the beach, there is no need to try to keep yourself afloat, you are going to float anyway. The true moral is that if you allow this to happen, you will be amazed at what you might find.

Psalm 107:23-32
Mark 4:35-40
Luke 8:22-25


God never leaves you, he never abandons you, it is we who abandon he, JT

No comments:

Post a Comment